I normally use bottled cherries, but this time, I found some strawberries which needed to be eaten before going mouldy.
This is a good dessert for feeding hungry activists. Last served at a special activists meeting on 17 March, 2015.
Preparation needs to be overnight, to allow the cake to cool.
Preparation time is only 15 minutes.
1. Preheat overn to Gas 6 or 200 deg C
2. Line swiss roll tin or shallow baking tin with double layer of greaseproof paper, which has bene lightly oiled.
3. Ingreadients; 5 eggs, 5 oz white sugar (or castor sugar), 200 g dark choc or cooking chocolate, 2 handfuls of strawberries.
1 teaspoon strong coffee, 5 tbsps water (75 ml).
4. Break chocolate bar into small pieces and place into a bowl with the water and coffee granules, if using, or elase make a pot of strong cafetiere cooffee, and use 75 ml of this. Place in a microwaveable bowl and heat for oneminute on high setting .
5. Make sure coffee/chocolate mix is nicely melted. Allow to cool
6. Separate egg whites from yolk. Beat egg whites till stiff
7. Cream sugar and yolks together untii pale in colour.
8. Stir melted chocolate into the cream mix.
9. Take a spoonful of egg white and stir into the chocolate mix to soften it.
10. Stir the rest of the egg white gently into the chocolate mix
11. Spread into the line baking tray. Level the surface.
12. Place in the centre of a preheated oven .
13. When ready, the top should be brown and risen
14. Take out of the oven and slide the paper and cooked cake onto a wire rack.
15. Cover the top with a double layer of a damp paper towel. Leave overnight.
16. Cut the strabwerry into small chunks.
17. Whip 200 ml of double cream, until soft peaks form. Place on top of cake to within 1/2 inch of the border, spread and level.
18. Dot the strawberry pieces evenly on top of this layer.
19. Take the long side and rol away from your body.
20. Place seam on the underside of cake and slide onto a serving plat. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.