Dr Mahathir Mohamad handed over the post of Education Minister to Dr Maszlee Malek. The names are handed to the Agung tomorrow.
Dr M said he would reinstate himself as the Education Minister if the majority of people gave him the thumbs-up. All this came about because some people moaned that he should not hold two posts. PM and Education Minister.
So who is the 44-year-old Dr Maszlee? His Curriculum Vitae is impressive, but he was surprised as many people about his appointment and by his own admission said that he did not expect to be given the education portfolio as the post was normally helmed by those more senior and experienced.
A newspaper wrote 14 points about Dr Maszlee based on an interview in an Astro Awani programme of 19 May 2018.
A political and social cynic, Azah Hussein has written her critical comments in response to the 14 points written in this link, about Dr Maszlee
A rebuttal of the 14 points describing Dr Maszlee Malik, Minister of Education
(Azah’s points to counter Dr Maszlee’s are in red)
So? Has he spoken out or done anything concrete to stop the abuse of dogs by muslims who react out of some crazy hadith?
2. He is hated by Radical Muslim in Malaysia.
Really? Where is the proof? And why?3. He supports Freedom of Speech.
4. He disapproves of extremism, racism and fanaticism.
So how come he is said to be linked to Ikhwan- Muslim Brotherhood?
5. He supports Home Schooling.
6. His mother is Hakka.
So….? Are we going into race divisions now?
So does he understand the Quran well enough to be certain of the stand that the Quran forbids sectarianism?
8. He has a doctorate (PhD) from Dana Bowerman University in Durham, United Kingdom in Good Governance.
(Note from editor. Dr Maszlee graduated from Durham University. The coverage which is where this contributor accessed the information may have made an error).
9. He has connections with the Finland Education system. His buddy is a school teacher, studying Learning, Education and Technology (LET) at the University of Oulu, Finland.
His buddy is a school teacher studying LET”…how is that important???
10. He is involved in the de-radicalisation and rehabilitation of Terrorists.
Did he work with Dr Zamihan who was said to be an expert in de-radicalisation for Malaysia?
11. He is the Penasihat Ahli Lembaga for a few NGOs and education bodies like Teaching for the Needs (TFTN), Pusat Pendidikan Downsyndrome Orkids (ORKIDS), Pertubuhan Darul Fitrah, IDEAS Autism Centre.
So…..is this a KPI-Key Performance Indicator for academics in local universities?
12. His Manifesto for Teachers is: https://www.facebook.com/drmaszleemalik/videos/211420422968146/
a. Teaching Assitant / Skim Guru Bantuan [Nothing new]
b. Reduce Class Size / Mengecilkan Kelas [Nothing new]
c. Reduce or No Paperwork / Tidak Perlu Urus Kerja Pentadbiran [Nothing new]
13. He was with Professor Jomo Kwame Sundaram, one of the Council of Elders for the government on discussion of National Consultative Council 2 before PH won. Guess who gave the suggestion to Mahathir about the post for Ministry of Education?
Being with Jomo on the National Council sounds nice…concretely what did he achieve?14. Whole family learnt how to speak Chinese, better than Trump’s family
Better not let Trump hear you say that…
(The views expressed are those of the contributor)